1.13.2010

Hazel and the Visitor


Look who showed up in my in-law's backyard yesterday. He's an Eastern Screech Owl and I guess he was just staking out his hunting ground before the sun went down.

We had an owl as a pet when I was a kid. My mother accidentally shot the poor thing when she was out hunting with her brother in Tennessee. She felt so bad she took him to the vet and nursed him back to health. We named him Hazel, which I couldn't say at the time so his name ended up being Hay Sue. I remember the wonderful sounds he'd make at night. I don't remember what she fed him, but I do remember he was very happy.


circa 1968
Cute, wasn't he?
Needless to say, I have a little thing about owls now. Thanks to Hay Sue.
P.S. Did I mention how sweet my in-laws are? They called me to tell me about their visitor so I could capture him with my camera. :)

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

What a unique and lovely story about your childhood pet. I love this picture of him on the rocking chair.