6.17.2010

8 mm Shenanegans


A couple weeks ago I happened upon an Estate Sale.  I wandered around the house and found nothing until I reached the cabinet below the bookshelves in the den.  And what did I find?  An 8 mm camera!  It's very cool looking so I decided to take it home with me.  I was just about to leave when a big metal box caught my eye (I kind of like old metal boxes because there's always something good inside - even if it's just "junk").  It was SO heavy.  So I opened it and BOOM a projector.  Beside it were three cans of film.  Beside that Quick Splice moving makers kit!  And beside THAT, an old coffee can full of, my guess, unused film.   And what did I find in the coat closet?  A SCREEN!  It was all priced WAY cheap, so I loaded up my arms and schlepped the whole thing to the cashier to be told my grand total was 40 bucks. Yay!

As soon as I got home I plugged in the projector and watched two of the reels.  They're from the late fifties, early sixties and most of the shots are of a couple and their little dog.  I got out my camera and shot a few pics of the film.  I love the quality of the film and the vintage look SO much.  The image above is cropped and I've added several layers to the image in Photoshop.  Below is just a pic without any fiddling with.



I can't wait to go through all of the films and make something.  Even if I just use these as layers for other things, I'm still SO excited about it.  All this inspiration and excitement for a mere 40 bucks!

No comments: